Re: [TCLUG:7113] network fax machine

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Ben Luey wrote:

> This isn't a linux question, but ...

Ahh, but it is.  You just don't realize it yet...

> The office is looking for a new physical fax machine. Are there any not
> too expensive fax machines that come with a network port so users on the
> network can 'print' to the fax machine, or use the fax machine as a
> scanner. There are no servers where the fax machine will be and we don't
> want to connect the machine to a desktop that isn't stable or on all the
> time, so if we get anything fancier than a normal fax it would have to
> have a network port.

Put a modem on an old 486 and a network card.  Install Linux.  Install
mgetty and hylafax.  Read the Fax Server mini HOWTO at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Fax-Server.html.  You can even
integrate it into your email system...  (I'm tempted to do this for
our office if our commercial product doesn't perform up to par.)

^chewie

http://nerp.net/~chewie  <<--- Check it out!  I'm selling my truck!