Apache and DSO

I've been having big problems trying to compile Apache with DSO support
for rh 6.  I need DSO for JServ module. I downloaded Apache 1.3.6 and
followed Apache's directions for compiling with DSO support.  I changed
into apache_1.3.6/src and added mod.so in Configuration file.  Then I
tried to run ./Configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache and I get an error
message about the prefix.  Apache's docs say that you should run Configure
from src dir, but I could only get it to work from apache dir. (Actually,
configure is in Apache dir, and Configure is in src (??))

What is annoying is that I followed apache's docs word for word and I get
errors on the first step.  When I use configure in the apache dir with
prefix, it still installs everything in src dir, not /usr/local/apache.
Plus, i could never get httpd working anyway.  Should i be using an SRPM?
Am I having redhat problems?

Any advice would be great, I've recomplied about 30 times so far....

Christian