Process killing

How do I kill a process that's in an IO wait state ?

I've got about 300 '/usr/sbin/crond -l10' sitting at status D
(which 'man ps' defines as "uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)").

Doing kill -{KILL,STOP,HUP,TERM} on any of their pids is
uneventful.

The PPID of all of them is 1, which is abnormal.

The disks are at worst at 78% sector capacity and 20% inode
capacity, so that's not it.

The only good side is that the uptime stats look kinda neat:
jellyd@erie:~:> uptime
  5:30pm  up 109 days, 45 min,  2 users,  load average: 315.05, 315.01, 314.56

There were a few hundred files in the /tmp directory that
contained the output of the 'atrun' process's crontab entry
(stock from install) that I removed, which didn't result in
anything.

--