Re: [TCLUG:7280] network setup of linux on WinNT net work with WINS

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Bill Koob wrote:

> Should I run it in server mode - or workstation mode with RH6.
> Want to set up apache server accessible from WinNT clients.

Hi Bill,

I believe you're referring to the preset installation modes available
early in the RH install. The 'server' and 'workstation' modes provide an
easy, semi-automatic install. Your parititioning and package selection
will be done for you. Note: I believe that neither one of these works on a
system you plan to dual-boot. The preset partitioning nukes your existing
partitions.

If you're comfortable with the concept of partitions, and are willing to
play around with fdisk or Disk Druid, then I'd recommend choosing 'custom'
from the menu. That will allow you to fine tune your install from the
beginning and select the packages you want. Plus, I always like to know
which packages are installed on my system. However, if you do choose one
of the pre-fab options, you can add or delete packages later without much
trouble. Good luck.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your