Scrolling problem with Pine and PPP

I have a small, and probably naive, question about using Pine when
connected to the U of MN using ppp via a modem.  After connecting, I
telnet to my account at the U of MN from an xterm.  I run Pine 4.05 from
an xterm, and when I open an email that is larger than one screen it
scrolls up part of each page.  It looks like the screen-size Pine is using
is larger than the xterm screen-size. The strange thing is that this does
not happen when I connect with slip.

Here's the details of how I make my connection with ppp:
(1) dial up with minicom
(2) send login and password
(3) at the 'slip-server>' prompt type 'ppp'
(4) quit minicom, using CTRL-A, Q
(5) from an xterm:
	$ /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 38400 crtscts defaultroute &

This starts ppp just fine, i.e., Netscape works, etc. The scrollong
problem with Pine now occurs when I telnet to my account from an
xterm.

As I said above, the scrolling problem does not occur when I enter my
server at (3) above instead of using ppp.

By the way, I've never been able to use the RH tools to get a PPP
connection to the U of MN. I use RH 6.0, but also couldn't make things
work with RH 5.2. I suspect my chat script. Any suggestions on PPP
connections to the U of MN  would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Dave

Dave MacCallum

Assistant Professor
Department of Philosophy
Carleton College
Northfield, MN 55057
dmaccall@carleton.edu

Resident Fellow
Minnesota Center for Philosophy of Science
University of Minnesota
macca003@tc.umn.edu