Re: [TCLUG:6324] yellow dog and other linux for macs

yikes...had no idea this list was so active..heh, better check it more often..

I actually haven't tried Linux PPC, just yellowdog (champion 1.0) and MkLinux.
Yellow Dog just seems to be a fancier Linux PPC. I switched from MkLinux to
yellowdog in the last two weeks, mainly to use gnome and to take advantge of
what a newer kernel would offer.  I've been having wicked trouble with gnome.
Afterstep has so far been pretty stable - on MkLinux and yellowdog. Netscape
has also been a problem. Supposedly the unsupported gnu-mklinux versions of
communicator work with yellowdog, but I haven't been able to get 4.08 or 4.5
to complile. (In MkLinux, I could only get 4.08 to work with any kind of
stability). HFS+ partitions can't been seen by linux yet, which is a big pain
( tho not that big of a pain, since sheepshaver isn't released yet). But HFS
partitions are also a bit of pain, since they truncate filenames (grrr).
Yellow dog, most likely because of its relative newness, has little supporting
documentation, which is also frustratng at times. So I suppose thats why I ask
if anyone else has installed yellow dog or linux PPC, cuz I want to know if
they've encountering the same obstacles.

Jacque