Re: [TCLUG:6500] frame buffer support

Sometime around the 15th of June in 1999, a certain JellyD said:

[snip myself]

I've got a few things to add to this framebuffer discussion
here..

On my system, it being the only on I've used the fb
drivers/devices on, I've noticed that running in 32bpp console
is tons slower than running at 8, 16, or 24bpp. I'm not quite
sure why, because the docs said that doing 32bpp on the
Matrox cards was actually _faster_ than 24bpp, for example, and
it's noticeably sluggish if i do a 'ls' or something else that
makes the terminal scroll. It's HORRIBLE slow scrolling; it
takes literally a half-second or more to scroll up one line on
the terminal with 'less' (although it's only maybe 15% slower
than normal speeds when scrolling downwards).

I'm not sure why, but when I first installed / setup the fbdev
devices and such on my system (I'm on 2.2.7 still right now),
it set my console resolution to default to 640x480x8x640x6547
(width/height/depth/virtwidth/virtheight), which after some
experimenting seemed to keep the vertical scrolling slowdown to
a minimum.

Okay, I _just_ got it to do 1024x768x8bpp in console; it's much
smaller font-wise as should be expected (good, finally!) but
now it scrolls down as fast as it scrolled up at 32bpp like i
mentioned two paragraphs ahead. Lemme try 32bpp quick ..

Good lord, that's even slower. You can watch the entire screen
refresh (it takes like 1.5 seconds to redraw the whole screen
just to scroll the screen up one line of 'ls' output) now. This
just won't do.

If you're wondering, I'm getting my video mode timings by
converting my perfectly-working (albeit slow) X settings via
the conversion formulas in /var/X11/lib/doc/README.fbdev .

I'm really kind of peeved here; I used to be able to do a
console-mode font size of just about exactly that which is
shown by increasing fb res to 1024x768, but it was just as
responsive as running a 80x25 columnar console. This
hardware-accelerated fbdev isn't quite cutting it.

.donut

- --
| Joshua Becker                    - aka -                      JellyD |
| email: jellyd@jellyd.org                          IRC: EFnet, DALnet |