RE: [TCLUG:6583] ISDN vs. Cable??

Since you're asking in the Linux mailing list, I'll assume you need to be
concerned about Linux hardware support.  Both SURFboard 1000 (internal) and
SURFboard 1200 (external) cable modems work with Linux.  Don't know about
ISDN.

If you want consistent low ping for gaming, go ISDN.  I have MediaOne
one-way cable modem service, and my Half-Life pings vary wildly from 150ms
up to 1200ms depending on the time of day.  It's been very disappointing
from the gaming perspective.

On the other hand, my downloads and web browsing ramp up to incredible
speeds very quickly with the cable modem.  It'll go up to practically
whatever speed the server on the other end can handle.  My max speed so far
has been 115Kbytes/s.

Another issue to consider is how long it takes to connect to your ISP.  The
MediaOne dial-up process takes close to a minute when I use the St. Paul
number, and often doesn't connect at all with the Minneapolis number.  ISDN
always connects in a second or less.  What's more, sometimes MediaOne routes
both incoming and outgoing signals through my 56K modem, instead of using
the cable line.  Don't know why that happens but it's very annoying.

Hope this bit of info helps your decision.  I'm sticking with my cable modem
in the hopes that MediaOne/RoadRunner start bringing in 2-way service soon.
I know they're testing it in Minneapolis because the "Phule's Company"
Half-Life server is running on it.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator