RE: [TCLUG:6619] ones and zeros

LILO is a very sensative disk loader (read "sucks ass sometimes")  it has
problems if disk geometry changes, i've also seen it blow up for little or no
reason.  best thing to do is to adjust your bootloader this way:

change the active bootable partition to your linux root.

you can do this with either dos fdisk, or linux fdisk..

change the "boot" flag off on your Primary dos partition, and turn it on for
the linux native (non-dos)  this will tell the normal dos bootloader (fdisk
/mbr) to try and boot the linux partition directly.  a normal linux partiton
will not be bootable this way.  you have to install lilo into the "superblock"
of the filesystem.  you do this by changing your /etc/lilo.conf

use your favorite editor (vi is your friend) to change the line:

boot=/dev/hda (/dev/sda, or whatever your first disk is)

boot=/dev/hda2 (or whatever is your linux root partition)

then save, exit and run the "lilo" command, this will load lilo into your
superblock.  after that, you should be all set.