tape backup program suggestions

I've been using KBackup for quite a while now and I've been fairly
happy with it.  It's simple and fits on a floppy, yet has a nice
interface.  The only problem is that everytime I upgrade my kernel I
need to recompile the multibuf program that comes with it otherwise I
get a segfault.  Now when I went to the 2.2.x kernels and a SMP machine
I can't get it to work at all.  I tried taper with the same results.
I'm looking for suggestions.  I'm backing up onto a 2/4Gb SCSI tape
drive.
--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~schewe