server crash

My linux server crashed and it had to be rebooted. (This was relayed to me
so I don't have teh exact info.

What happened is that the server didn't respond to any network activity --
no pings, etc.
We plugged in a monitor and got tons of messages saying something to the
effect that the server could gets memory address for ethernet card and it
repeated this message with slightly different numbers over and over. We
tried to login to the computer locally but either it was too slow or the
messages just interrupted everything, but it wasn't doable.
Control-alt-delete did nothing, so we pressed the reset button. The logs
look completely normal until Friday night at 10:00pm then they stop until
the reboot on Monday morning. So whatever happened caused logging to stop.
The computer had been up 80 days or so (486 with 12meg ram running web
server and imap/pop plus ip masq on 2.0.35, redhat 5.1. Any ideas?

Thanks,

BEn

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

We live in the Computer Age, and you need to get with the program.  You
are standing in the airport terminal of life, and the jet plane of the 21st
century is about to take off.  You must make a choice: Do you remain in the
terminal, eating the stale vending-machine food of outmoded thinking?  Or do
you get on the plane and soar into the stratosphere of computerization, swept
along by the jet stream of evolving technology, enjoying the in-flight snack
of virtually unlimited information access, secure in the knowledge that if you
encounter the turbulence of rapid change, you are holding, in this book, the
barf bag of expert guidance?  -- Dave Barry, Dave Barry in Cyberspace