user disconnect fails

I have mandrake 6.0 and I have ppp setup through netcfg and it allows
users to bring the connection up and down. When I run
`/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup ppp0` as a user my modem dials and
everything works right. But when I run ifdown ppp0 nothing happens. I
wait a few minutes and the connection stays up. Eventually I become root
and kill pppd. I logs reveal nothing about the down script, just that
pppd was killed by root.

Any ideas why I can't disconnect with the script?

Thanks,

Ben
--
Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu

So the GOP thinks the American public has a short-term memory. Well, I
have
one word for them -- potatoe.
        -- Karen Baird, Letters to Editor, San Francisco Chronicle
12/17/98