Re. caching nameserver vs isp's ns server

>I have a dialup ppp account. Is it better (faster) to run named as a
>cacheing nameserver or just have my resolve.conf point to my isp's dns
>servers? I'm noticing lots of udp connections to Root-Servers and it
>seems that it refreshes these root-server connections on each dialup
and
>it isn't very efficient. Is the answer any different if I'm doing
>ip_masq for 10 computers (1-3 on at a time when connection up)?

Don't know if this will help, but i've been using squid since it also
provides dns caching along with everything else.  This doesn't answer
your question, but it achieves the same thing without having to change
your resolv.conf.

Unni Nambiar
nambiars@iname.com