Re: [TCLUG:6710] log message "kernel: Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer"

You can get a work around for that at:
 http://www.alsa-project.org/~perex/page_alloc.html
But you will have to rebuild your kernel.

I remember reading some where a long time ago that the 2.2 development
kernel had an option to reserve memory below the 16M limit.

You could also try loading a large program into memory, like netscape
and then exiting from it. This might swap out some things to the disk
that are below 16M and then when netscape exits there could be some
memory below the 16M limit freed up.

The problem is that ISA DMA pages have to be in the lower 16M of your
memory. Something to do with the PC architecture, I do not know what
:-).

Hope this helps,,
sandipan