Video card problem-need feedback!!!!!

Problem:  More and more frequently text in all open application windows and on
panel at bottom of screen is
                   granulating (or pixalating?) to the point where it is not
legible.

If I sweep an active window over another window, the text on the window that was
passed over is clear again but only temporarily.

If I exit from Xwindows and restart Xwindows, all the text is normal again but
this may stay okay for awhile or go bad again quickly.

This whole problem is occurring on average every other day I use the PC.

Hardware:  AMD K6 300 hz, 64 megs of ram, Video card - standard S3 Virge with 4
mgs of ram, Sony Multiscan 400 PS 19" monitor.

Operating System:  Redhat 6.0 only.  Windows 95 or 98 is not on this box at all.

My hardware vendor states that he thinks the problem could be the video driver.
Does the above make you think it
could be the driver gone bad?  Is there a way to directly test for this?  Or do I
have a bad video card.

Would appreciate responses quickly as I will be working with my vendor today.

Regards, Mark Jefferis