High speed Internet access alternatives???

The town I live in is serviced by Comcast cable and has been promising
cable modems for over 6 years (you should have it the next 5 months
etc.etc.). So I have given up the dream of having an cable modem access
to Internet.

Alternatively, I thought of subscribing to an ISDN line. The telephone
switch (from Ameritech) servicing our residential area, does not support

ISDN lines. If I move a few blocks, I can have access to ISDN. I do not
expect the phone switch to be replaced by Ameritech, any time soon. I am

also ruling out ADSL offerings for a while.

Now my question is, is there any other form of high speed internet
access. I hear of satellite based Internet connections. I don't know
which companies offers such connections. What other alternatives are available
to subscribe to high speed Internet connection?

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
subb3@ibm.net
Disclaimer - I question and speak for myself.