more on squid and autoforqward

If I type in "http://204.123.123.1" the request with internet explorer 3.0
works fine and goes through squid with transparents proxying. If I type
"http://www.linux.com" then it claim a sucessful connect, but squid gives
a fail because it acts like it was sent the request "/" the same request
with no ip address or dns name. I've tried enabling and disabling
dnsserver but it makes no difference. Is this internet explorer being
broken or some config problem?

Thanks,

Ben

ressolves the dns from my dns server