Re: [TCLUG:6786] Java in Linux

At 07:44 PM 6/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, I'm learning Java and would like to do it on Linux. I installed guavac
>that comes with Red Hat. So far I have been able to compile a pretty basic
>file (like a hello world!), but now what?, how do I run my java program. It
>is not an applet so I can't use Netscape.
>Any idea?,
>Is there any java compiler for Linux other than guavac?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Vicente.

I am not familiar with guavac but there are three others.  Kaffe,
blackdown.org and IBM.  You can find Kaffe from TransVirtual (?), Blackdown
is at www.blackdown.org and the IBM compiler (alpha version) is at their
alphaworks site (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/linuxjvm).  Blackdown
is a Java 2 release (beta) and IBM is a 1.6 release.

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old AT&T Unix that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.