Re: [TCLUG:4344] Looking for CDE for Linux

Peter Lukas wrote:

> Xi Graphics (www.xig.com) offers a cde version of their Accelerated X
> environment.  They offer both MaXimum cde/OS and cde.  It's pretty
> expensive, but they do offer site license agreements.  Word around the
> campfire is that they will eventually have a glibc-based version (Xi V5),
> but still as yet do not offer any libc6 binaries.  It still runs just fine
> on RedHat5.x and other glibc-based Linuces.  Their installer is a house
> special; a gnu tar archive.  It'll install fine on RedHat systems, but it
> would be nice had they also offered an RPM package for it as well since
> non-rpm packaged software will not register into rpm's dependency
> database.  It's probably safe to assume that the future release of their
> product will be available in RPM format.

I've been beta testing the Xi Graphics X server version 5.  It still has
compatibility problemswith certain combinations of software, as Xi's stuff
always has, but it works better than 4.1.2, which
we're using right now.  I've also got a pretty good line with their developers,
if there's a feature someone
is dying for.Xi doesn't offer site licenses for CDE--part of the cost of CDE is
a royalty which cannot be worked around.

Speaking from the standpoint of a company that uses Linux/CDE, my advice right
now would be to not bother.
There's a lot to CDE that no one actually uses (some of which are a great
annoyance--see tooltalk) , and many features included in something like KDE or
WindowMaker that you're never going to find in CDE.  Above and beyond my opinion
of its usability, the only
technological reason I can think of to recommend CDE is for compatibility with
Suns and HP's...if you're going to have users switching
back and forth between unix operating systems, it might be worth it.

Jer Smith
U S WEST