Re: [TCLUG:4288] Not-So-Rosy Linux Article in the Star/Trib (is a good thing!)

I'd say lots of the new pc's have hard disks of >10GB size. Actually I have the
following problem, which I hope you can help me resolve:

- I have a 10,800 MB hard disk which I'd like to put Windows and Linux. I
utilized fdisk to partition the disk but fdisk just see 8GB out of the 10GB. I
decided to change the number of heads, cylinders and sectors (the disk geometry)
to fill the 10800MB. The disk geometry is this:

heads  128,  sectors   63,  cylinders   2651.

With that geometry fdisk can see almost the whole disk. After that I created 4
partitions :

1 120MB   linux boot
2 3.5GB   Windows
3 128MB   linux swap
[4 The rest of the disk  extended.]
5 1GB     /usr

The problem arose when I tried to add another partition
6 1GB     /home

When I utilized the command "v" (verify) fdisk said that partitions 5 and 6 were
overlaped. Something that I have noticed is that this problem arises only when
the two partitions are above cylinder 1024. In my case partition 5 is starting
under cylinder 1024 (979), but partition 6 is way over cylinder 1024.

I have found some documents where it's said that for IDE hd's there's a 8GB
limit but those documents are very very old and the linux community is
continously improving the software, so I'm sure there's a workaround somewhere.
Please tell me where it is.

Hector.