Re: [TCLUG:4397] Ethernet NICs

On both of my PCs (both running Redhat 5.2 w/ 2.2.2 kernel) I use 3Com
905b 10/100 PCI cards with no problems at all. They can be had for as
little as $50 if you look around. I couldn't tell you about the
EtherExpress cards as I've never used them.  As far as Linksys goes I use
a 5-port 100mb Stackpro hub (about $70-$80), one of thier 10mb Instant
Ethernet Workgroup hubs (about $35) and a 2-port Stackpro 10/100 switch
(about $100) to tie the two speeds together (laptop and sparc only run at
10mb).  I haven't had any real problems with any of the equipment, but
since they're unmanaged I can't really pull any SNMP values out to quote
collision rates, etc.

Jim Raney
SysAdmin, Citilink Internet