Re: [TCLUG:4397] Ethernet NICs

At 03:27 PM 3/3/99 -0600, you wrote:
>On both of my PCs (both running Redhat 5.2 w/ 2.2.2 kernel) I use 3Com
>905b 10/100 PCI cards with no problems at all. They can be had for as
>little as $50 if you look around. I couldn't tell you about the
>EtherExpress cards as I've never used them.  As far as Linksys goes I use
>a 5-port 100mb Stackpro hub (about $70-$80), one of thier 10mb Instant
>Ethernet Workgroup hubs (about $35) and a 2-port Stackpro 10/100 switch
>(about $100) to tie the two speeds together (laptop and sparc only run at
>10mb).  I haven't had any real problems with any of the equipment, but
>since they're unmanaged I can't really pull any SNMP values out to quote
>collision rates, etc.

General Nanosystems has OEM 3Com 905Bs for $55.  I didn't see however that
the cards had moved from Tier 2 to Tier 1 support for RH5.2 and for
previous revs, the 3Com cards had been hit and miss.

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old AT&T Unix that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.