Re: [TCLUG:4406] Porting to Linux (Pine vs Eudora)

  Hi,

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, brady wrote:

> I haven't used Pine lately but to tell the truth I just can't use console apps much anymore.  Is it shallow to prefer form over substance?  Anyway Here's a list of my favorite things about eudora.  Maybe some of these things are also possible with Pine.  It all really comes down to preference:

Ah. Pine automatically sets the margin width to something usable (:

> 1.  I can delete a message with a single click.  (Click...click...click...click...just deleted 4 messages without moving anything except my index finger.)

You can do that with pine. Just press "D". dddd. Just deleted 4 messages
without lifting my finger off the key! (:

> 2.  I can grab 10 messages at once and drag them into a mailbox.

Pine's select and apply thing is a bit cumbersome, but it does have that
whole Select by From, To, Subject etc. I can probably get my mailbox
sorted pretty fast with pine.

> 3.  I have a bad memory so it's good for me to be able to use buttons and menus.  Drop down menus can be thought of as aids for the memory deficient.  :-)

I guess, but I don't know how much of a feature that is (: Pine does have
help on the status bar, and it's context-sensitive help is pretrty good
when you need it.

> 4.  I can easily cut and paste between a message I'm composing and another message or any other document.

That's something pine hasn't got - editing multiple messages!

> 5.  If I want to send a graphic or other file attachment (which is usually not very often) I can just drag it into the email window.

I can just type it in at the message header. Or press Ctrl-T and get a
directory browser.

-Yaron