Re: [TCLUG:4478] Mandrake and Partition Magic

At 12:58 AM 3/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a friend who wants to install linux on his PC, but he would need to
>be able to repartition his hard drive without deleting data.  He *does*
>have a backup of his data, but he wants to avoid reinstalling Windows if
>at all possible.
>
>Do you need partition magic to do this?  Or are there other (free) ways?

Yes,

There is a 'free' way.  Somebody will have to help me out here because it
has been awhile since I used the program.  Now, my experience applies to
Redhat, I don't know if other distro's have the program.  Now this only
works if you are running FAT (I don't think it supports NTFS)

- First, run the Windows 95 ScanDisk in order to move everything together
to one end of the drive.
- Once that is done, there is a program either on the floppy disks, or on
the CD in the dos tools section that can 'move' the partition around.
- I split a 1GB into two partitions this way about a year ago.
- If you can't find the program I am talking about, shoot me an email and I
will look at my RH stuff at home tonight.

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old AT&T Unix that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.