Re: [TCLUG:4480] IP Masq question (another)

> I'm tryig to help a friend set up a network similar to mine (outside
> network to gateway to hub to inside network) and we've gotten stuck.
> He's getting a DSL line, which uses dynamic adressing.  Is there any way to
> enable IP forwarding when he's getting a new IP each time?

Well, in reality, the dynamic-ness of DSL is pretty low..  Since DSL is
in an 'always-on' state, the IP doesn't change very often.

As far as the dynamic IP goes, I've never had trouble keeping forwarding
working when I ran masquerading over a dial-up from home.  You just have
to have the right setup behind your gateway (all of the boxes behind the
gateway have the gateway's internal IP as their default route).

The only problem you could have is making sure that the gateway keeps
the right IP address.  If they use DHCP, you just set up the Ethernet
card that goes on the external network to use that, and force the
internal Ethernet card to have a static address.

There shouldn't be a problem.

--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.1