DNS Questions

I am trying to get DNS running locally via the HOWTO
  http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html
Running into a few problems.  Using RH5.1, kernel 2.0.36
1.  on ndc restart, error message 'no proceses available.'
     named isn't started on boot.
2.  file called named.conf in HOWTO is apparently named.boot
     for real.  Is the usage identical?
3.  on boot, modprobe doesn't find net-pf-5 (related?)
4.  Perhaps I should use kernel 2.0.34-0.6 as distributed.  (?)
     On re-compiling the kernel, the modules.dep and preferred
     link in /lib/modules do not seem to be updated properly.
Thank you.  --krb