Re: [TCLUG:4615] Reinstalling Windows and Linux at the same time

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 dchristian@std19.dorms2.macalester.edu wrote:

> I have a friend who's reformatting his entire system.  He wants to know
> whether he should load Linux first and then Windows or the other way
> around?

Windows.  Then Linux.  Or if he loads Linux first, have him create a
boot disk so that he can use LILO to rewrite the MBR.

> What would you guys suggest?  Install Linux, (it will be on the same hard
> drive as windows), then install Windows (will it recognize the partitions
> and leave them alone?), then boot off a floppy and run lilo?

There's a hack for using the Linux fdisk (or cfdisk) to create Windows
partitions.  It involves using the "dd" command to write zeros to the
first 512 K of the partition (I think it was 512 K).  I can't remember
the command outright, but I believe it is in one of the HOWTO's
(loadable in Debian using the command line: $dpkg --install
{path}/debian-doc-text.deb )

I believe the partition type for Windows FAT32 (LBA) is 0E.  Verify
this in cfdisk (what I used in my last install) or fdisk.

Chewie