PPP woes

OK.. this is ridiculous.  Somewhere in the process of upgrading myself to
the new kernel and the new KDE, my PPP stuff stopped working.  KPPP keeps
reporting "Sorry, the modem is busy." when it clearly is not.

Just to make it clear, I did compile PPP into the kernel.  Everything I
can find in the compile options related to this is turned on.  I followed
the KPPP FAQ (which is fronting for pppd) to its conclusion, with no joy.

I was looking for the pppd source, because I suspect it may need to be
upgraded for the new kernel, but I haven't been able to locate that on
freshmeat, Linuxberg, etc.

So I have two questions:

1.  How do I solve the basic problem?
2.  Where do I find the source for pppd (which is still suspect)?

TIA!