Peer-to-Peer ethernet

Where do I find out how to set up Redhat for a peer-to-peer network?
I'm a networking know-nothing. Although I've set up a couple for
Windows and Mac, I managed more by muddling than learning. What do
all these acronyms mean? What do I put in the DNS fields when I'm not
using domain names? Can I tweedle the subnet mask to use the same
setup for my internet dial-out? (Don't have a router; not even a hub
right now. It's strictly a 2-box network with a crossover cable.)

Hugh Johnson
hugh@semplicesoft.com
<http://www.semplicesoft.com>