Re: [TCLUG:4857] arrrrrrgh!

Interesting question... Been thinking hard trying to recall. The drive was
initially all Windoze, a primary and an extended partition.  I believe I
blew away the Extended partion before installing Linux... yet I don't
remember Linux asking about creating a Extended partition - it was happy to
let me define its drives in cylinders, starting with hda5, the first logical
drive of the extended partion.

After the Linux install, Windoze fdisk already knew about the extended
partition.... it just reported it as completely free, until you try to make
a drive and get the real free stats.

So, there is a small posibility I did leave the extended partition as
initially created by Doze. I would try installing Linux without defining the
extended partition first - if it happily creates the drives then you're
probably on the same track. Otherwise, back out, make the extended partition
with Doze, install linux and enjoy.

Good luck!