CD-ROM and PPP slowdowns

i've been having a problem that i cant seem to fix, so i figured i would ask
the list and see if anyone knows.  while connected using ppp (v 2.3.5) on a
2.0.36 kernel, everytime that i start up a process that uses my cd-rom (a teac
532), it grinds my connection to a halt.  i have tried using irqtune to set the
priorities of the serial port higher, but it still has not been able to help.
has anyone else run into this and know how to fix it?  does anyone have any
ideas on what to try next?  thanks.

len.

--

	-  -  --  --- -----[ whisper@bitstream.net ]----- --- -- -   -

	"And it hurts to care, i'm going down ..."

  - -  -- ----[ 83 C0 55 57 7D AF 81 A1  7B 14 49 0C A0 7F 45 E8 ]-- -  -    -