Re: [TCLUG:4962] 100bT problem

It may actually be the card's fault and not linux, as I had a similar
problem when I moved a 3C905b over to 100BT.  In my case it was a new
100BT hub and I had to fight with the card's DOS utilities floppy to force
it to recognize the media.  After setting it in 100BT only mode it worked.
Oddly enough when I later changed it back to autosensing mode it
correctley recognized the media.  Unfortunately it means having to boot
into DOS :(

Another thing about these cards:  I've found them easier to install under
linux than under Win98!  When I rebuilt/reinstalled a dual-boot machine I
fought for hours with the installation of the card-Windows would recognize
it during the install and would promptly insist it didn't exist after the
reboot.  With linux I simply booted the machine, recompiled the kernel,
rebooted the machine, and Bam!  Instantly worked.  I tell you, we owe the
driver hackers out there a lot.

--
Jim Raney

"I poured spot remover on my dog.  Now he's gone."	--Steven Wright

At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his
thumb with a hammer.    				-- Marshall Lumsden