No cdrom after a kernel compile...

I finally got around to trying to build my own kernel.  Aside from some
expected troubles with my sound card everything seemed to work
fine...accept I cannot mount my cdrom drive.  Even with my redhat 5.2
install I cannot mount (I tried to be very careful to not overwrite my old
config...like Ben suggested).  I get the following message when I try to
mount the device:

$ mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
       (maybe 'insmod driver'?)

$ mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device
       (maybe 'insmod driver'?)

Doing an 'ls -l' on /dev/hdc (which /dev/cdrom is linked to) gives the
following:
brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk      22,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hdc

Any suggestions?  Off hand I don't know the exact specs of the CDROM.  It
is a Mitsumi that came with my Zeos P133 (Pantera model).

I could try a reinstall of RH 5.2 but I'd prefer not doing that unless I
have to.

Thanks,

Dave