Re: [TCLUG:5849] virtual web hosts and public_html

I think JellyD has the virtual hosts described, I'll try the "each user will
have their own account". The version of apache that I use has an srm.conf
which includes the following:

# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.

UserDir www

I believe the latest version of Apache has consolidated the use of srm.conf,
access.conf and httpd.conf into one file httpd.conf. This scenario requires
each user to have their own shell account /home/torvalds/www and any
subsequent directories under www that are needed possibly including cgi-bin.

At this point it's all about file permissions. In order for apache to parse
through directories they need to be executable by "other". So chmod 755
/home/username produces:
drwxr-xr-x   9 rtp      rtp          1024 May  4 17:08 rtp

Files within /home/username/www/ can have permissions like the following:
-rw-r--r--   1 mi-r     mi-r          288 Apr  1 05:28 frame-1.jpg

If I understand apache's httpd.conf file then <virtualhosts> entries can
include every apache tag in the book. Allowing for a highly customizable
<virtualhost>. On the other hand, if every <virtualhost> will serve "www"
user webs then you could put the above UserDir tag within the global section
of the httpd.conf file thus eliminating the need to enter it within each
<virtualhost> and potentially saving some redundancy.

Anyway, I hope some of that is accurate and clear enough to make sense.

ron parker

As a side note: I think I know just enough to really screw things up. Several
days back, I decided to rebuild my server. I backed up my main web account
and neglected to do the same with five user webs "~/username". Three of which
exist elsewhere on my lan but the remaining two are unrecoverable. The web
gets deeper. I had everything backed up to tape but a faulty power supply
caused the server to crash while the only existing backup tape was in the
drive. After the crash I am unable to recover anything from that tape. I've
since dusted off my case of backup tapes, all of which are new and unopened.