Re: [TCLUG:5907] is sendmail safe?

Ben,
while it is possible that someone is trying to send you mail from this
system, judging from what the system is, I would say that it might be
compromised or there is an error in its port scanning software.  If you
look at teh system itself, its hostname is cfd2123a.eng.wayne.edu
(sendmail v8.8.7). They are running RedHat 5.1, linux kernel 2.0.34
(telnet), and they also run wu-ftp-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16] (telnet
141.217.13.25 21).  whois (whois 141.217.13.25@whois.arin.net) returns
Wayne State University in Detroit, MI, and whois wayne.edu returns the
same contact as ARIN, Matthew Lessins (m_lessins@wayne.edu).  I would
suggest sending a polite email reminding Mr. Lessins that he needs to
check the security on this machine as you seem to be getting port-scanned
from it.  Let him know that you are keeping copies of your logs, and give
him a number to reach you.  My bet is you won't hear from him, but they
will probably try to stop whatever is going on.

I have had similar problems because I use dsl, and one of the "systems"
which was attempting to touhc my box turned out to be an ISDN modem, so I
found out the ISP (simple, really), and let them know what happened & that
they had an insecure ISDN modem out there, and never heard back, but I
have not gotten attempts from that direction since - they either got bored
or my email did something.  In any case, it is worth letting the admin
know of the potential.

-Chris