Re: [TCLUG:5990] NFS-mounted / partitions

It's possible to set up each machine to act as a thin client, but not in
the conventional sense.  Like a thin client, you can enable tftp booting
and root filesystems over nfs (see the "diskess-mini-howto",
"nfs-root-mini-howto and the nfs-root-client-mini-howto" URL's below).

Of course, you may find that it's a little more economical to run the
X-server on the clients and a minimal / while /usr and /home are exported
from a file server and mounted on the thin client.  It sounds like a fun
project.  I've had experience with the NCD 19r X terms (this old-school
2-bit b/w 19" display, with 8MB RAM and a 10BT network), those worked out
pretty well for mail and web browsing.

All the necessary dosc are in the mini section of the HowTo's and are
pretty well documented:

Diskless Mini-HowTo:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Diskless

NFS-Root-Mini-HowTo:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/NFS-Root

NFS-Root-Client-Mini-HowTo:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/NFS-Root-Client

Peter Lukas