Re: [TCLUG:6118] mindcraft at it agian

If you read this:

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-05/lw-05-penguin.html

there are some arguments presented that would disagree. A "rematch"
on their terms, when the only reason they want a rematch in the first
place is because the deceit they intended was exposed to the world.
And who is to say, really, that this exposure wasn't intended, that
they ment to have the benchmarks denounced so that they might be able
to control exactly where the battle takes place.

I think responding to them, the way they wish it, lends them
credibilty the _don't_ have. If benchmarks are to be done, let other,
more reliable and trustworthy companies do them. And let Mindcraft
stay in Microsoft's back pocket.

My $0.02.

Troy

>>> Brady Hegberg <bradyh@bitstream.net> 05/21 12:37 PM >>>
It seems fair for them to call for a rematch.  I get a kick out of
the fact
that they say the "Linux community" hasn't responded to them about
the
rematch.  I think what they're looking for is a response from Linus.

It appears to me that this challenge is being taken very seriously in
quiet sort of way at the upper levels of Linux development.  I get
the
impression that kernel and Apache people are going to tweak and test
until
they think they have a better chance against NT on that hardware and
only
then give it another go...I'm not sure if this seems totally fair (if
it's
possible to be unfair to Microsoft), but it hightlights one of the
advantages to Linux.  When new versions come out every few days you
can
react on a dime instead of having to plan for a release 6 months down
the road.

tclug-list-help@listserv.real-time.com