execute cgi from ...com/~user/cgi-bin/hello

Hello,

I am trying to configure apache so that users can execute cgi from
/home/username/www/cgi-bin/. I've been testing with the following hello
world script which is from the Lincon Stein web:

#! /usr/bin/perl -w

use CGI ':standard';
print
        header,
        start_html('Example 1'),
        h1('Hello World!'),
        "Wow, I'm speaking HTML!",
        hr,
        end_html;

The script executes properly from www.mi-recordz.com/cgi-bin/hello

NameVirtualHost 209.134.131.41
<VirtualHost 209.134.131.41>
ServerAdmin rtp@mi-recordz.com
DocumentRoot /home/mi-r/www/html
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin /home/mi-r/www/cgi-bin
ServerName www.mi-recordz.com
ErrorLog logs/mi-recordz.com-error_log
TransferLog logs/mi-recordz.com-access_log
</VirtualHost>

However, the output from www.mi-recordz.com/~username/cgi-bin/hello is
just the text which makes up the script. The script is not executing.

access.conf:
<Directory /home/username/www/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

httpd.conf:
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/username/www/cgi-bin/

Directory and file permissions have basically been 755. Will the
ScriptAlias line need to be repeated for every user that has a cgi-bin?
Of course there are security issues with cgi and I appreciate any
insites on that.