Re: [TCLUG:9665] List posting policy

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
> > Mailing lists are suppose to be for open discussion. Flame wars are part
> > of an open discussion (yes, on the fringe). I do not want to start
> > moderating the list anymore then it already is. Policies stifle mailing
> > lists.
>
> Thank you for defending the integrity of the list. (Not that anyone was
> conducting a flamewar.)
>

> > This is my opinion as a reader, as a list administrator I'll do what the
> > list members wish to have happen.
> >
> > But do you really want someone reading each post before releasing it to
> > the list for readership?
>
> This is it, kids, time to cast your votes. Here's mine:
>
> No way. Moderated discussions are like non-free software: beneath
> contempt. Anyone who wants Bob (or anyone) to moderate the list is
> inconsiderate (you think time grows on trees?), and anyone who would
> volunteer to moderate the list has delusions of grandeur.

Agreed.  I wouldn't want to see this list become moderated.  That would be
a waste of everyone's time.  And the usefulness of the list would
certainly dwindle.

I've been a member of this list since before Chris Palmer's SIGFS list
merged into the (then newly created) TCLUG list, to become the TCLUG we
know today.  It started out small.  It was great.  And it still is great.
But, lately, I have an issue with the volume of useless mail.

I'd like to see a policy, for lack of a better term, that reminds us of
what is "on-topic" for this list.  It could be beneficial to our long-term
goals.  I'd like to continue to use this list five years from now.

Personally, I like to read each and every e-mail.  Everyone's got
something good to say every now and then.  Sometimes, I get an e-mail with
a subject that I don't care about, but I read it anyway.  And I find a
wonderful regular expression, or some great idea that I wouldn't have
thought of on my own.  I'd like to hold on to that possibility.  I don't
want to have to delete junk based on subject before I start to read my
e-mail.

I'd like to see something like:
- This list is for Linux users.
- Everyone is welcome, but please keep your posts relevant to Linux.
- If you feel that your e-mail will be helpful to the list then please
post it.  Otherwise, don't.

And we can go from there.

This list has grown in size quite a bit, and maybe it's time for a policy.
It would have to be a democracy.  The policy would have to be amendable,
like a constitution.  We would each be responsible for following the
constitution.  And we would mercilessly flame offenders.  But, we would
flame them at their own e-mail address, rather than publically.  Thus
keeping the list a productive place.

Maybe one rule that we should abide by, even if we don't create a policy,
is that we're here to help each other.

Thanks for listening,
Chris Kesler