Re: [TCLUG:9718] DSL woes cont.

> Curious.  has anyone gotten a DSL set in ppp (not bridging) mode to work?
> That is the way my router is configured, and I was wondering if it made a
> difference.  If not.  Will it be ok to manually set my Router in Bridging
> mode?  What is the difference?
hey,

To answer your first question yep, I've had DSL up and running in ppp
mode for some weeks now. USWest recently made the switch from bridging
to ppp for security resons (or so my SO who works at !nterprise Networking
, not a misspelling, tells me.) And yes it matters which your router
is set to. Especially if you have static IPs. When setting up our DSL
we discovered that while our router was set to ppp mode, the previous
owner of our block of IPs had been using bridging and they were still set
to run in bridging mode. She has since seen this problem in at least two
other people's static IPs. I'm not sure off the top of my head how
ppp or bridging effects DHCP.

hope that helps

Joe Laha
penguin@acm.cs.umn.edu