RE: [TCLUG:9836] new install

>         you need to have LBA mode *disabled*. otherwise you're likely to
> have filesystem problems of some sort or another.

  I disagree.  I've always run with LBA mode enabled, and it's never caused
me any problem -- quite the opposite.  I know it was a problem with some
older harddrives/BIOSes that didn't seem to handle it correctly, but I'd say
it's definitely a good idea if you're running any recent-model IDE hard
drive, if you plan to run dual-boot, and certainly if you're using anything
over a gigabyte.

  Of course, nearly every machine I deal with these days runs SCSI hard
drives anyways, so perhaps I'm out of touch...

  BTW, Alicia, if you're using SCSI drives, you'll probably want to
disregard everything that's come up in this discussion so far...  (If you
don't know, chances are you can safely assume you're *not*.  However, this
may help:  IDE drives will be identified during setup as "hda", "hdb", etc,
and SCSI ones as "sda", "sdb"...  Also, you'll generally see a message
shortly after boot notifying you if a SCSI card has been activated in your
system -- something along the lines of "Adaptec 2940 SCSI enabled -- hit
Ctrl-A to blah blah blah")