RE: [TCLUG:9836] new install

>  I disagree.  I've always run with LBA mode enabled, and it's never caused
>me any problem -- quite the opposite.  I know it was a problem with some
>older harddrives/BIOSes that didn't seem to handle it correctly, but I'd say
>it's definitely a good idea if you're running any recent-model IDE hard
>drive,
        the last fileserver I built, a couple of months ago, with a good
ASUS mobo and dual 14GB IBM Deskstars (IDE), refused to install Linux (even
the Blessed CD signed by Linus himself), while I had LBA on. (gave a
mounting error). neither would it Linux recognize more than 8GB of the disks.
        on a machine w/ dual 10GB disks, I think I may have gotten Linux to
install w/ LBA mode on; but it wouldn't recongnize >8GB of the disk. that
was a while ago, and I could be wrong.

>if you plan to run dual-boot, and certainly if you're using anything
>over a gigabyte.
        if you have <8GB disks, I'm guessing you can get away with it.
        you will probably need it on a dual-boot win95 machine. (tho NT
would probably rather have LBA turned off; IMHE).

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091