Re: [TCLUG:9862] slow system

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Scott Dier - dieman wrote:

> > As someone else said, GNOME and Netscape are memory hogs. Run Window Maker
>
> GNOME IS NOT A WM.

You don't need to tell *me* that. But it doesn't fill the role of a
command shell the way the Mac OS Finder does, or BeOS Tracker, or even
(half-assedly) Windows Explorer. It also does not really fill the bill as
an API for building coherent and standardised application like Mac OS
Toolbox or Win32. GNOME is a 'desktop environment', which means a) a
nicer-looking xfm(1) and b) yet another taskbar look-alike.

GNOME doesn't do what the high overhead it imposes would lead you believe
it could do.

> > or such in place of GNOME, and be sure to use stand-alone Navigator, not
>
> Heh. like navigator gets much smaller :)

Well, I would have suggested Armadillo, of course, but it's too alpha
right now. There are some patches I have yet to apply that will bring it
very near beta, I think.

> I personally can barely deal with 32mb with gnome/sawmill some xterms
> netscape and staroffice at once.

StarOffice is an unbelievable pig. It's core image was 40MB, before I had
even typed anything! I wrote one sentence, and it was up to 48MB. I don't
know what StarDivision's developers are smoking.

--
  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerfireworks.com/