Re: [TCLUG:9862] slow system

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> > start xwindows it loads and runs super slow, when ever I load netscape it
> > takes like 3 minuets to load, I have Linux 6.1 Standard. Im pretty sure the
> > computer isnt the problem, My computer is a micron it has 120mh, 16mb ram,
> > and 1gig hd. If anyone could help me out on making my system run faster that
> > would be great.
>
> As someone else said, GNOME and Netscape are memory hogs. Run Window Maker
GNOME IS NOT A WM.

Ok? :)

Usually gnome ends up with enlightenment defaul (ugh).  I happply run
sawmill, a small replacement for enlightenment.

Anyhow,. gnome is pretty big.  But, gnome provides alot of coolness for
the amount of ram it initally takes up.  (lots of code reuse going on
within gnome).

BlackBox is a nice wm for boxes with little amounts of ram.

> or such in place of GNOME, and be sure to use stand-alone Navigator, not

Heh. like navigator gets much smaller :)

> Also, if you can afford it, add 16MB more RAM. You'll see a *huge*
> improvement.

Totally recommended.  Get up to 32MB or even 64.  Its cheap and you wont
believe the difference.

I personally can barely deal with 32mb with gnome/sawmill some xterms
netscape and staroffice at once.  It might have to do with how i hacked
the proc sys vm settings to my liking. but heck. it works until my new
dual system gets in next week. (yay!)

---
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> #nicnac@efnet 612.301.0265
      destiny's admin       | The first thing we do,
 http://www.ringworld.org   |  let's kill all the lawyers.
finger me for gnupg/pgp key |   -- Wm. Shakespere, "Henry VI"