Re: [TCLUG:9941] RE: slow system

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 11:01:26AM -0800, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         I know of at least one person who's reverted back to NS 1.1; b/c
> it's so much lighter and faster than the new crap. :) doesn't have Java
> support; but on the upside that does protect him from malicious applets. :)
>         the old browsers worked; but I do belive the new browsers are
> substantially less crash-prone. NS 4.x under winblows doesn't crash every 30
> mins like a lot of the older ones did. :) that's my main reason for using
> the new ones.
>
>         still, I like what the Mozilla and Armadillo projects seem to be
> striving for; a small, reliable browser.
>
>         I've tried Opera; and i like it. however, it's a) non-free; and b) I
> dont' like the interface as much as Netscrape's. I like the amount of
> customizability they offer; but I would like to see more common keybindings
> (ex: Ctrl-O to open a page, instead of F2), and I prefer new windows to be
> independent of the original, instead of being another subwindow within the
> main one. (I don't know why they did it that way... code size? speed? anyone
> have an idea?).
>
>         once I start using Linux on my desktops more heavily, instead of
> just as a server OS, i'm probably going to start using lynx for at least
> some stuff. :)

	I would like to see a lot of UI improvements for browsers
instead of the constant trend of more and fancier ways to present
content.  I find all the flashy content presentation mechanisms to be
highly annoying.  IMHO, they should stick with Java, and that's _it_.

	I would like to see things like spell check on text input boxes,
or an ability to auto-catgeorize bookmarks in some way.  Maybe Netscape
could use it's 'portal' to attempt to find categories for your bookmarks
to fit into.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature