Re: [TCLUG:9941] RE: slow system

>This is going to sound like a dumb question, I know, but
>if the newer versions of Navigator are so bloated and buggy,
>shouldn't we drop back to earlier versions? I'm currently
>running (under Win98, true) both Netscape Navigator 3.02
>and Communicator 4.7, and when all is said and done I *really*
>prefer 3.02. Maybe we should just stick to the earlier versions
>and push NSCP to make the software *less* laden with bells,
>whistles, and Java-driven foofaraws.
        I know of at least one person who's reverted back to NS 1.1; b/c
it's so much lighter and faster than the new crap. :) doesn't have Java
support; but on the upside that does protect him from malicious applets. :)
        the old browsers worked; but I do belive the new browsers are
substantially less crash-prone. NS 4.x under winblows doesn't crash every 30
mins like a lot of the older ones did. :) that's my main reason for using
the new ones.

        still, I like what the Mozilla and Armadillo projects seem to be
striving for; a small, reliable browser.

        I've tried Opera; and i like it. however, it's a) non-free; and b) I
dont' like the interface as much as Netscrape's. I like the amount of
customizability they offer; but I would like to see more common keybindings
(ex: Ctrl-O to open a page, instead of F2), and I prefer new windows to be
independent of the original, instead of being another subwindow within the
main one. (I don't know why they did it that way... code size? speed? anyone
have an idea?).

        once I start using Linux on my desktops more heavily, instead of
just as a server OS, i'm probably going to start using lynx for at least
some stuff. :)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN