Re: [TCLUG:9929] Adding RAM for slow machine

----- Original Message -----
From: ^chewie <chewie@guinness.urw.org>
To: <tclug-list@mn-linux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 1999 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:9929] Adding RAM for slow machine

> Interesting.  You learn something new ever day...  Tell me, does the
> SDRAM100 on a 66MHz bus depend upon the processor speed for
> performance as well?

Yes.  I am sure that it will level off at a plateau, so at some point extra
processor speed will not increase memory performance.  I am not sure exactly
how it works.

> Anyway, I believe the original computer configuration we are
> commenting on is a P166 w/32MB EDO RAM and presumably an IDE harddrive
> w/a comparible swap parition? (32MB? 64MB?)  I think we can also
> assume that his motherboard does not have DIMM slots for SDRAM.  In
> any case, the general recommendation I would have would be to add at
> least 64 MB of EDO memory (two 32 MB simms) to the system if you're
> doing a LOT of resource computing.  It all depends upon the use of the
> box...

You are correct.  I didn't want anybody to apply a broad generalization to
all computers when many many of them now have SDRAM chips.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com