Re: [TCLUG:9929] Adding RAM for slow machine

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

TTV >
TTV >> It really has nothing to do with your processor speed.  Your computer
TTV >> slows down to do the swapping.  ...
TTV >
TTV >That is not exactly true.  It is true for the older SIMMS
TTV >and EDO, but SDRAM is faster with faster processor speeds.
TTV >Although, I can not give you quoted numbers, I believe on
TTV >modern SDRAM, you will see improvements from 8ns to 6ns on
TTV >SDRAM100 based upon processor speed. 2ns may not seem like
TTV >much, but look at it in terms of percentage and you will see
TTV >that it is a 25% improvement in access time.

Interesting.  You learn something new ever day...  Tell me, does the
SDRAM100 on a 66MHz bus depend upon the processor speed for
performance as well?

Anyway, I believe the original computer configuration we are
commenting on is a P166 w/32MB EDO RAM and presumably an IDE harddrive
w/a comparible swap parition? (32MB? 64MB?)  I think we can also
assume that his motherboard does not have DIMM slots for SDRAM.  In
any case, the general recommendation I would have would be to add at
least 64 MB of EDO memory (two 32 MB simms) to the system if you're
doing a LOT of resource computing.  It all depends upon the use of the
box...

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html