df problems

        On my RH5.1 box; whenever i run 'df', the process hangs. it prints
out all the mounted partitions; then just hangs there. sometimes ^z will
suspend it; sometimes I need to kill the df process from another login.
        Thought maybe I had a corrupt file; so I reinstalled the 'fileutils'
RPM (actually used the one from RH5.2; same version, couple of build numbers
better); but it didn't make any difference.
        any idea what's going on here? what should I try next?

Carl Soderstrom