Re: [TCLUG:9971] Compaq ProSignia 300

I have one, and I have had a bit of problem with the initial configuration of
the thing...but...after it was all done I've not had much for complaints.

I was unable to get the 10baseT built in ethrenet adaptor working, but that was
under the 2.0 kernel, and I've not tried it yet(the drivers were experimental).
So, I popped in a 3c509, and everything was keen.  VERY fast install, what with
scsi CD and HD....I love that combo...

I pumped it up to 80mb of RAM, and that really seemed to help.

The one REAL big headache is the machines tendency to REJECT any hardware
installed into it, until a special dos program runs off the CD, and tells the
mobo that everything is ok...even with the simple addition of more RAM, I had to
go through this...its not so bad, but it is a BIG hassle...

My box is a bit dissappointing, it runs REALLY slow, under X anyhow, even with
the smaller WM's, but console mode is fine, and it serves up the web pages all
right.  goto http://www.solar-systems.net/BFL/default.htm and see for your self,
if you like, its just a fantasy football webpage(I'm currently 7-2, though the
page has yet to be updated...) I've not yet bothered to do anything with the
rest of the site..but there it is...

Also, my box is getting switched over from ISDN to 512K DSL this afternoon, so
the box will likely be unavailable for a while...that just figures, eh?

Enjoy, and feel free to ask me anything you like....

BrianJ